Home page > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

1 - What are the immigration procedures to come to France?

To come to France, you may need a visa and a residence permit. This depends on your nationality. Please visit our Visas and immigration page to know more about the procedures.

2 - How can I find housing in France?

Find more information on our housing page.

3 - How can I get a French Social Security number?

Your health cover in France depends according to your situation. For more information, visit our health insurance page.

4 - What is the difference between gross salary and net salary?

In France, employer contribution and employee contribution are deducted from your pay. Your base salary is the "gross" wage. After all contributions are deducted (about 20%), you receive a "net" salary, i.e. the sum to be paid into your bank account.
Warning: these charges do not replace the income tax which you must pay every year.

5 - How can I benefit from the French retirement system?

When you reach the legal age for retirement and you contributed during your stay in France, you can request your full retirement allowance. You must send your request to the CNAV (Social Security Retirement Fund).

6 - I have been in France for more than a year, should I pay taxes?

You have a work contract in France, therefore you must pay taxes. Find more information on our taxes page.

7 - How long does it take to get a DCEM for your children under 18?

The procedure takes about 5 months. Find more information on our visas and immigration page.

8 - May I go back to my country for Christmas?

Make sure your residence permit ("Titre de séjour") is valid. Remember that if your application is being processed, you must check whether your "Récépissé" (i.e. the document the Prefecture gives you when you apply for a residence permit) allows you to leave the country.